Sunday, September 8, 2013

Montana 1948 by Larry Watson

This story has a very interesting way of unraveling itself and each chapter gives a little more insight and shock than the last. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book about a small town in Montana. It reads so real as if it is a true story. The narrative of the main character is so honest and draws you in quickly. This seems like a book that anyone interested in guns would appreciate as the first chapter really goes into different rifles a young boy can get his hands on.

Here is my favorite quote from Montana 1948, that I think will give you a sense of the plot and the voice:

"What finally lifted me from the floor and moved me back down the stairs? It was trivial, yet it bore out what a boy I was when all this was going on. In the kitchen was chocolate cake. My father had stopped at Cox's Bakery the day before and bought a cake, and it was sitting on the counter. A murderer may have been locked up a floor below and the molecules of his victim's dying breath still floating in the air, yet these were not strong enough finally to stand up to my boy's hunger for chocolate cake."


No comments:

Post a Comment