Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Professor and the madman by Simon Winchester

It took me a while to make my way through this national bestseller 'a tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the Oxford English Dictionary.' As I closed it's final pages I imagined the day I have a serious library and a complete Oxford English Dictionary will be a worthwhile addition. The story is an interesting one but in all honesty I didn't care for the writing. The tid-bits I found most fascinating can be compiled into a page of notes. There are many run on sentences, sentences that begin with 'and' along with repetition of the same speculations. I like to be told something once but as I put the book down so frequently, I guess it was good to be reminded. Reading about lexicography I have a profound desire to play Scrabble. Hopefully one of my new neighbors is also enamored with words...

No comments:

Post a Comment