Friday, February 8, 2013

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

This week, I decided to take on two very different books. Both were given to me some time ago, and were staring at me from my shelf saying 'either pass it on, or read it'.

On The Shoulders Of Atlas, is a financial book, that tells the story of how many advisors it takes to sell a family business, that is now worth millions. Unless you like reading business books, or are in that situation, I really wouldn't recommended it, as the information wont be relevant. I almost always find those details interesting, so I'm sure that's how I came into possession of this book in the first place.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, is a graphic novel, and a fantastic read! So smart and funny, the author tells what feels like a candid, humorous, true account of her growing up, while giving insight into the intricacies of Iran, without making it complicated. The drops of wisdom given through the characters is heartwarming and inspiring. A great story and a great gift.

There's an interview done with the Author through the Washington Post that you can read here. Reading the interview and this account of her life, makes her seem like someone who always speaks her mind, and always speaks her truth. I want to put Marjane Satrapi, on my list of people I'd love to have a cup of tea with, in a smoke filled cafe in France.
An excerpt from Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi 

No comments:

Post a Comment