Thursday, August 9, 2012

Game of Thrones, A Song of Ice & Fire By G. Martin

I'm glad these fit on my kobo!
I finally finished the last page of the epilogue on the this epic tale that spans five large novels. Most are familiar with the HBO series that has inspired even more of a following. Told from many different narratives this book series is one that is know for its deaths. "Everyone dies" I was told and from just the first few chapters you know it will be a long eventful game to claim the throne. Everyone is true to their character and the author does a great job of throwing you around into the minds of all the personalities constantly surprising and shifting your point of view and greying that fine line of right and wrong. Characters you love and characters you love to hate rise and fall in power with honor and deceit as their true weapons, drawing blood and loyalties from all corners. I've been told I'm a 'loud reader' meaning I 'oooh', 'ah', shout, gasp and laugh. There was no end of that through all these pages penned by George R.R. Martin.

I vividly remember laughing that "No, I wasn't going to read the book" I didn't have the time, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings had satisfied my appetite for dragons and battling. "If I get an e-reader it will be the first book I read" I said as an offhand comment. To my surprise I was gifted a Kobo before my trip and to hold true to my word I bought the series right away. I read while walking through Spain. Reading about a fantastical story that takes place in castles and on jousting fields while passing by old bridges and castles where real Knights had pledged their protection to the very Camino I was walking. Even passing a field of grass that was know for its jousting tournaments, the story quickly became very alive in my mind. It's a story you want to talk about.

Spoof cover, what is really should be called
If it's been a while since you've picked up a good book, if you've always wanted to be a Knight, a tomboy princess or live with dragons, the clever characters in this world wont disappoint. If you couldn't handle the deaths in Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings then this might be a series to skip. Heed the warning of the mock cover to the left: Don't get too attached!

Happy reading and if you happen to have any titles of the books listed here I'm looking for the ebook copy or someone to read alongside with.

No comments:

Post a Comment