Monday, January 21, 2013

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

I want to right away say, Not my favorite book, as it took me a while to warm up to, but when I got to the end, and was flipping through revisiting some highlights, I realized it's brilliance.
I was recommended this a few years ago, after I had watched Catch-22, and think of it as a classic ant-war book.  
Slaughterhouse Five has a special style to it, and I like how time is mixed up and gives you a sense of the chaos a regular soldiers life can be riddled with. So it goes.
Throughout the book you might want to laugh and cry but can't, Vonnegut traps you in the sadness and humor of real life. It is so peppered with fact and farce, that I was constantly caught wondering where the truth stopped and started. 

I've read other Vonnegut and love his quotes. This book is no exception, there are many memorable quotes:
* "So it goes"
* "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops"
* " 'Why me'
'that's a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?'
'Yes.' Billy, in fact, had a paperweight in his office which was a blob of polished amber with three ladybugs embedded in it.
'Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.' "
* "She was a dull person, but a sensational invitation to make babies."
* "Only on Earth is there any talk of free will."

No comments:

Post a Comment